Those of the Wicca follow an intricate set of laws in their personal and group practice. Collectively, these laws are called The Ordains. The Ordains fall into three basic categories: spiritual laws, practical laws, and coven laws. The spiritual laws can be seen as a code of ethics or morals giving the Crafter a guideline for spiritual living, whether you choose to practice as a solitary (a Witch alone) or within a group structure. These spiritual laws apply to all magical people, and most magical individuals incorporate these laws into their group workings, as well as their solitary practices.
Consider practical laws as the blossoms of experience from those who have practiced the religion before you. Therefore, not all of the practical laws will apply to every person. Think of these laws as guidelines.
The third type of Craft law (mundane law) belongs to group hierarchy, and most of these laws do not apply to the Witch practicing alone. This doesn’t mean that solitary Witches should ignore these laws entirely, as many in their community may follow some sort of coven or group government, and they practice Witchcraft within the confines of these laws. Mundane laws fall into two categories: Those laws created for general Wiccan government; and those laws created by the current organization, group, or coven. The laws created by each group may not contradict the general mundane laws, but seek to enhance the organization and assist in creating a group mind.
Through the Principles of Belief and the more intricate Ordains, New Generation Witches can practice a structured religion that doesn’t appear structured. That’s the enchantment, and the mystery, of the Craft.
Information from Llewellyn’s Witches’ Calendar 1998.
…On the Witch’s personal standards and spirituality
- An ye harm none, do as ye will.
- If you know the Rede is being broken, you must work strongly against it.
- Watch, listen, and withhold judgement; in debate let your silences be long, your thoughts clear, and your words carefully chosen.
- Never boast, or threaten, or speak evil of anyone.
- Be truthful always, save when speaking would lead to a great harm.
- Keep clean your body, your clothes, and your house.
- Should you take a task upon yourself, work hard and well to accomplish it properly and in good time. Always do the best you can.
- Do not haggle over the price of your ritual tools.
- Witches know that there no absolute truths.
- Witches understand that the universe consist of perfect balance; therefore, everything has an opposite.
- Witches realize that for every action there is a reaction. (The Law of Three)
- Witches know that we are all one; we are all connected.
- Never lie to yourself for this is the ultimate act of deceit.
- Witches understand that the ultimate act of spirituality is the act of positive creation through love.
- Witches realize that the energy created through worship and rituals manifests as a circular stream of positive energy.
- Witches should never close their minds to knowledge.
- Never practice a magickal system that you don’t fully understand.
- Do not set a price on your magickal work.
- A witch uses the magickal circle as a physical and non-physical representation of a temple on the earth plane.
- Witches use the energies around them to assist in raising power.
- Witches use common sense and do not share their mysteries with fools.
- A Witch who knowingly breaks the Law (Ordains) will not be permitted to incarnate on Earth again.
…Concerning the relationship of the Witch with others
- Revere, honor, tend, and heal the Earth
- Of that which you grow, make or use, let as much as possible return to the Earth as an offering to Her, as a way to nourish the cycle of life.
- Do not judge those of other paths, but offer them love and aid.
- Do not steal from human, animal, or spirit; if you have needs you can’t meet, turn to your community.
- Offer friendship and hospitality to strangers who visit among you.
- You shall never handfast or wed someone you don’t love.
- Honor the relationships and commitments of others, and don’t couple together if it will cause harm to another.
- Raise your children with kindness, feed, clothe, and house them as well as you can. Show them love and affection, teach them strength and wisdom.
- Deal fairly and honestly in all your transactions with others, following the letter and spirit of any contract you agree.
…Concerning the relationship within the Craft
- Witches do not point out the identity of other witches to the general public or give addresses, or anything that can betray any of us.
- Do nothing that will endanger anyone in the Craft, or which will bring them into conflict with the law of the land or any of your persecutors.
- Do not gossip or speak evil of other witches.
- Never lie to any of the Wicca.
- Never use your magickal skills for show, pride or vainglory.
- Keep within your Book of Shadows a record of your own rites and learnings.
- Do not lend your Book of Shadows to anyone. You may allow someone to copy it though.
- Property owned by Crafters should be guarded both mundanely and spiritually by the Witch.
- Never use your personal power for evil purposes or attacks. If someone attacks you, you can defend yourself by asking the Goddess for justice.
- Magickal bindings can cost you dearly. Learn to banish negativity instead.
- Know that thoughts are things; and what you create in thought may manifest in reality.
- A Witch’s power grows in direct relation with his or her level of wisdom.
- As long as you are acting in accordance with a positive belief system, don’t worry what others think of you and say about it.
- Injuries, accidents, sickness, and poverty are often manifestations of low self-esteem or negative programming, not hexes.
- Magick use should be viewed as sacred.
- Witches may teach others about the Craft if the place is safe, the teacher is knowledgeable, the student is willing, and the information is available publicly or is not secret to the organization to which he or she belongs.
- Never do anything to disgrace the Goddess and the Craft.
Amber K’s Covencraft, Lady Galadriel’s The New Wiccan Book of the Law, and Silver RavenWolf’s To Light a Sacred Flame